Avignon, this charming little town in Provence
My impression of Avignon?
A walk in the evening, just before sunset...we went to the supermarket and bought all good French stuff: baguette, cheese, strawberries and croissants. Went back to our hotel just before it started raining and watched The Voice. It was in French (all my French classes in school finally payed off ;) and sang along with all the participants. Such great voices (theirs and maybe mine, Raresh definitely can´t sing :D lol, that´s me, actually!), such a nice evening, such a charming little city...
On the day of our arrival they were celebrating National Dance Day in the main square, really nice. Avignon is cute but pretty small, i think 2-3 days are more than enough.
I made a list with some suggestions based on what we visited and on a list the lovely people from Avignon Tourism gave us.
Avignon travel guide:
- stay at Hotel de l’Horloge, it is nice and very central and their breakfast was one of my favorite during our entire Provence trip. They served Carpentras strawberries, known as the best ones in France. The region of Carpentras is a town located about 20km from Avignon and has great truffles, strawberries and melons among other sun-kissed fruits and vegetables that grow extremely well in this area thanks to the unique ‘Terroir’ (a combination of soil, climate and local savoir-faire)
- Visit the Palace of the Popes, the the biggest gothic palace, home to the Sovereign Pontiffs in the 14th century
- just above the Palace stroll through the 19th century hilltop garden with a panoramic view on the old city
- Visit the 13th century Avignon’s bridge, famous for its song
- Take the free shuttle boat at the bottom of Avignon’s bridge (10am-12.15pm / 2-18.15pm) and walk along the chemin de halage on the Barthelasse island (the biggest river island in Europe) enjoy the view on the bridge and the city.
- Stroll in the old city. I think before evening is the best time, there are lights everywhere, people are getting ready for dinner..
- Suggestions for lunch/ dinner / drinks: on charming Place des Corps Saints or la Manutention area (rue des Escaliers Sainte Anne): behind the Popes ‘Palace enjoy a drink or a snack at the Utopia cinema café
- don´t miss the Amorino gelateria, their ice cream not only looks great, but it´s perfect for an Instagram picture ;)
- Shopping areas: rue Joseph Vernet (fashion, antics, creators), rue St Agricol, place Crillon, rue des Marchands
- If you need a parking place, there is the “Palais des Papes” underground car park (entrance rue Ferruce, next to Avignon’s bridge)
So, we arrived from Nice straight to Avignon. We stayed for 2 nights and from there drove to the Luberon area...that´s to be continued soon... ;)